Re: IETF mail service outage planned for 120 0 UTC on 27 June 2024)

Hi Michael,
At 01:07 AM 28-06-2024, Michael Richardson wrote:
Hi, so I guess that I didn't realize that the move to Amazon would mean that
we'd lose our ability to send out email ourselves.
I would have liked that to have been made clearer.

Despite what John said, I actually think we had other choices which support
IPv6.
I realize that there are parts of the IETF who don't think IPv6 is important.
I think they are really really wrong, and in 2024, it ought to be possible to
do email with IPv6-mostly.

I moved my response to ietf@ as I it may be more about policy.

The IETF has offered a good mail service over the years. The response time and technical support on the rare occasions where I encountered an issue was well above average.

John has a point on the comment about "nobody noticed" when the IETF mail server was no longer sending mail over IPv6. I don't know anything about the cost implications. I took a look at the latest contracts and some plenary slides to find out more about the changes to IETF mail infrastructure as I may have missed the reading the information about the IPv6 change. It seemed a bit odd that the IETF LLC was outsourcing its mail service to a cloud provider (please see my comment about the mail service over the years).

Let's say the change was for another protocol, e.g. TLS. Would the people agree to a move from v.1.3 to v.1.2 because that is what the outsourcing provider offers?

Getting back to the second part of your comment, I would look at it in terms of managing growth. It would be interesting to see whether the IETF LLC's decision will influence other LLCs to follow a similar path, and the overall effect.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy