Re: FTP and sftp clients

It appears that Tobias Fiebig  <tobias@xxxxxxxxx> said:

>Moin,
>
>> I believe there are still a few people who believe that only FTP
>> works for them and are unwilling to install ssh (or more likely, to
>> use the ssh they already have)
>
>Also, just on a hunch and to support this point: Is there any standard
>end-user FTP client (iirc the built-ins were kicked from--at least--
>Windows anyway) that does _not_ support SFTP out-of-the-box as well?

That's not a very meaningful question, since I don't know what you
mean by a "standard" FTP client. None of the linux distros I know of
come with an interactive FTP client any more. Most of them include
wget or curl, and there are plenty of other FTP clients in packages.

MacOS has FTP support hidden in the Finder. If you tell it to connect
to an ftps:// URL, that is supposed to work. On the other hand, if I
connect to ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org I can log in and see the files but
I can't download anything so it doesn't work that well. People who
want FTP invariably use Filezilla from the app store.

FreeBSD still has the old 4.2BSD FTP client which only does FTP.
Again, there are plenty of packages if you want sftp.

I don't use Windows but I hear Filezilla works there, too.

So in general although I think the question was poorly phrased, I
agree with the idea that if you want to use sftp, it is very easy to
do so. But I think scp is even easier.

R's,
John