Re: FTP

It appears that John C Klensin  <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> said:
>It is relatively easy to set up and run at least a minimal FTP
>server.  If the content of files being shared are sensitive, having
>those files encrypted before being made available to the server is
>perceived by those who have taken the FTP path as safer than having
>them encrypted only in transit.   By contrast, there is a widely held
>perception that setting up and operating web services has become
>difficult and complex enough that more organizations are better off
>contracting those out. ...

Perception among who? It's no harder to set up a little web server on
a VPS than a little FTP server. I've done both and I'm sure I'm not
the only one here who has.

I suppose that since nobody cares about FTP any more, you're not going
to get the complaints about an unencrypted FTP server that you do
about a non-SSL web server, but even there, getting and installing a
cert with certbot takes only a minute or two.

On the third hard, most VPS setups come with ssh already set up,
so you get scp for free.

R's,
John