Re: FTP and sftp clients

Moin,

On Fri, 2024-07-05 at 15:11 -0400, John Levine wrote:
> since I don't know what you mean by a "standard" FTP client.
"standard end-user", i.e., an FTP client that would be recommended by,
e.g., a web-hoster to its not necessarily technical users/customers to
use when trying to transfer files.

For example, what Contabo (German hoster) does here:

https://contabo.com/blog/top-5-ftp-clients-for-windows-and-mac/

All of these five (FileZilla, WinSCP, Cyberdock, Transmit, CuteFTP)
actually also support SFTP. So, if you want to make your Windows do
FTP, you automatically also install an SFTP client.

> None of the linux distros I know of come with an interactive FTP
> client any more. Most of them include wget or curl, and there are
> plenty of other FTP clients in packages.

Yes, and OpenBSD comes with sftp in base. However, this goes straight
beyond the point I was talking about; It was exactly not about people
running some form of UNIX or Linux;

It was about those users, that are usually core of the argument "but X
is so difficult, and my Windows/Mac tools do not support it";

With the point being: The things most likely installed in those cases
to make it support FTP also support SFTP out-of-the-box.

> So in general although I think the question was poorly phrased, I
> agree with the idea that if you want to use sftp, it is very easy to
> do so.

Yes.

> But I think scp is even easier.

Certainly; If you are comfortable using a cli. Which tends to become
more of an ancient arcane art these days than i'd like to admit. Or, to
put it into words once uttered towards me: "Are you CHATTING with your
computer?!"

With best regards,
Tobias