Re: FTP

On Thu, 4 Jul 2024, John C Klensin wrote:
This is by means of explanation, not trying to argue for or against a
position.  The people I've heard from want, for reasons I at least
hinted at, nothing to do with VPS setups.  They are running their own
servers on their own premises.

My server is a Dell PowerEdge R410 from about 2010 that I bought used in 2016. It is in a rack in a basement room in Ithaca, which I visit from time to time. It runs web servers and ssh and scp and rsync just fine, along with an FTP server nobody uses. I copy most stuff in and out using scp as do most of my users.

I believe there are still a few people who believe that only FTP works for them and are unwilling to install ssh (or more likely, to use the ssh they already have) but I don't see why that is our problem.

R's,
John