[Last-Call] Re: Genart last call review of draft-daley-gendispatch-venue-requirements-02

On Thu, Jul 04, 2024 at 06:38:04PM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:
> >> 'When the meeting space is co-located with the IETF hotel,
> >> the combination tends to build a strong sense of community
> >> among those participants and staff who stay there.  That
> >> sense is diminished when the hotel and conference facilities
> >> are separated.'

Nitpicking on the working just because i think this is a really
important point.

I would suggest to tone this down to "stronger" instead of "strong".
Even when the Hotel itself was hosting the IETF, i've seen the communal
benefits to participants vary widely on setup of the hotels of bar, restaurant
etc. pp.

For example, admittedly the Hilton in SF is IMHO a lot better in its setup
than the one in Prague in this respect, even though i am not a fan of going to
SF (too expensive for what it's worth - seemingly the owner of the Hilton
had to figure out the very same thing ;-)).

Ultimately i guess that the best communal effect is had if/when we do
have the largest possible best-affordable IETF block in the conference
hotel. Aka: Even a great conference hotel doesn't help if the mayority
of young, energetic - and likely underpaid - IETF participants have to go to
a different hotel. Even if just because the drinks are too expensive in the
Hotel.

So yeah. A bit of a conundrum, which alas has gotten worse with rising
prices in most places.

Cheers
    Toerless