FTP (was Re: why IPv6 is bad, No, SMTP is IPv4, Was: SMTP and IPv6)

Dave Cridland wrote:

> Mostly it's unreasonable because it's FTP, which is rather like using
> TOPS-20. It's an unmaintained protocol, and almost certainly not the right
> choice unless you just want to use it for the perverse nerdy pleasure of
> using an ancient system.

Not.

If we have an ancient protocol and its implementations usefulness,
validity, security etc. of which are confirmed by long term
aging, the proper engineering is to keep using them as are, which
means the protocol is unmaintained because the protocol does not
need any maintenance, which is the case with FTP and IPv4.

On the other hand, the poor engineering is to "maintain" the
protocol with all the newly invented features only to make the
protocol and its implementations less useful, less valid and
less secure.

When anonymous ftp is good enough, http and https are
overkill especially when they are actively maintained.

					Masataka Ohta