Re: FTP

Hi Rob,

[Cc trimmed]

At 01:42 AM 05-07-2024, Rob Wilton (rwilton) wrote:
Normally, if I want to share a file with someone, I would encrypt it (if necessary) and share it via an online cloud storage provider or scp if in a Linux environment. I can't see how this is harder than setting up an FTP server and ensuring that the recipient can find an ftp client, or how FTP could be deemed to be the most secure way of achieving this.

I would put the file on a web server as the recipient most likely understands how to use a web browser. It is a bit different when I am the receiving end. I generally receive files through the "social" app which the other side prefers. The recipient's decision is influenced by different factors. There is a SNL skit (it's a short theatrical sketch which is usually comical) about those factors.

It's a bit different when there is a need to restrict access to the file. The file would have to be secured.

You could give rclone a try if you are interested in exploring the various storage alternatives, e.g. online cloud storage provider.

I still believe that for most users on the Internet, for the vast majority of cases, FTP is no longer the best answer for sharing files. This is why I believe that IETF making it historic would arguably be the right thing to do. I think that I probably stopped using it about 10+ years ago and haven't missed it.

I'll stand on the sidelines for now as it would be more interesting to see who takes the lead on the "right thing to do".

Regards,
S. Moonesamy