Re: why IPv6 is bad, No, SMTP is IPv4, Was: SMTP and IPv6

TCP? I said transport.

TCP has a rather 1980s view of transport which we have moved beyond with QUIC. TCP does not comprehend the type of network level flexibility that I am talking about.

As far as the application layer is concerned, all that actually matters is the ability to establish a connection to a named endpoint and exchange one or more streams of data. Why should the application need to be aware of what is going on at the network layer? The function of the transport layer is to gloss over all that.