Re: SMTP and IPv6

On 6/30/2024 12:08 PM, John Levine wrote:
It appears that Christian Huitema  <huitema@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
Yes indeed. More documentation will help, if only to dismiss myths. A
quick search shows that some reputable mail services like Proton Mail or
Mailbox.Org do provide IPv6 addresses for their MX records --

Those are providers of individual mailboxes. What they do works fine
if you want a mailbox or two.  Gmail has good IPv6 support, too.

Our mail systems run mailing lists and send a signficant volume of
transactional mail, e.g., notices when an I-D is uploaded or a
document's status changes. None of them do that, nor does any other
credible provider I'm aware of that has IPv6 support.

Is there some reason you think it was useful to make that comment?

Yes, otherwise I would not have made it.

Proton Mail or Mailbox.org may not be good candidates for providing support for the IETF. That does not seem to fit their business offers. I don't know that they would even be interested. I am not trying to provide alternate candidates for the IETF contract.

On the other hand, the main technical reason I hear is the difficulty of using IPv6 addresses for spam filtering. This is a problem for inbound mail. Controlling inbound spam is indeed important for the IETF, we do not want spam on mailing lists. But it is also important for "providers of individual mail boxes", and I would not dismiss their experience.

-- Christian Huitema