Re: SMTP and IPv6

The IETF's job here is to understand the factual reasons why the major mail services don't deliver mail over IPv6, and to find out what can be written in RFCs to change that.

Yes indeed. More documentation will help, if only to dismiss myths. A quick search shows that some reputable mail services like Proton Mail or Mailbox.Org do provide IPv6 addresses for their MX records -- and I don't believe that they are the only ones. So we have an existence proof: it is definitely possible for mail services to support IPv6 today.

IMHO it's a secondary issue that the LLC didn't explain this in advance to the community. Maybe they should have, but that isn't the real issue.

Since there exists mail services that do support IPv6 today, I think that the LLC erred in selecting a mail provider that does not. That can surely be fixed.

-- Christian Huitema