Re: [Tools-discuss] messaging formatting follies, was The IETF's email

On 8/22/23 09:18, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

Sometimes top posting is the right approach, sometimes point by point is.
For an individual reply, I agree.   For a chain of replies, it's confusing if there's a mixture of top/middle/end posts.

(though perhaps if the actual sequence of posts and annotations could be preserved, their presentation could be rearranged in subsequent messages)

The principle that the machine do as much as possible for the human is obvious. So why don't the clients automatically trim?

It's not obvious to me.  To me, it's obvious that the author of each message (or reply) is responsible for the content of that message, and the machine shouldn't try to decide for the author what the right content is.

Keith