Re: [Tools-discuss] messaging formatting follies, was The IETF's email

On 8/21/23 22:05, John R Levine wrote:

While I greatly admire your ASCII art in principle, I regret to report that on my Android phone and iPad it's completely illegible.
I think that was the point, or at least, a point I was attempting to make.

Much though some of us might wish otherwise, it's not 1990 any more,
Aside: I wish we'd rule that kind of argument inappropriate for IETF.   They seem to be pure ridicule, to make dubious comparisons (e.g. what is the significance of "1990"?), and contribute nothing of substance to the discussion.

and fixed pitch ASCII text isn't what most mail programs expect or display.

I think everyone knew that already.

(On the other hand, if you'd sent HTML mail and wrapped it in <pre> or used <tt> it'd have looked fine.

Perhaps more to the point, how well does a point-by-point reply that is formatted to look good in HTML look on your Android phone and/or iPad?

Keith