Re: [117attendees] Meeting frequeney (was: Re: Making meeting attendance more affordable)

On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 12:04:15PM -0700, Watson Ladd wrote:
> I have strong reservations about this line of reasoning, or maybe I
> agree and really want to push back on the limits.
> of people are not going to get involved in a discussion of something
> even if it affects them, like meeting frequency but would vote on
> changing it.

Questionaire to the whole community is maybe best compared with direct
democracy. Its not ideal for the reasons you mention, but better than
our "rough consensus", which really only achieves compromise between
competing business interests. Which is IMHO only good enough for technical
decisions. Not necessarily for outcome, but also for representation.

Letting IESG/IAB make decisions alone (or through designated group(s))
might be an interesting alternative, but i do not know any comparable example
to our NomCom process to judge whether or how well it works in selecting
representative for social/community leadership.

Oh well ;-))

> On the other hand with meetings specifically the current
> status quo disadvantages participants in Oceania and South America.
> Between that and wanting to reduce carbon emissions/we made remote
> work before we should I think be willing to experiment and learn from
> it. IACR has done a much better job, but granted that doesn't have the
> same issue around needing a lot of the same attendees at each one.

Given how i started with video conferencing in 1989 (MBone) and used
it ever since, i think IETF has done a pretty darn good job with it.
And it was mostly forced to jump into it full steam because of Covid.
So you can't even  blame IETF for what it does now (for better or worse ;-)

If you have any practical recommendations for how to solve the ongoing
big challenges of e.g.: better hybrid collaboration, please provide
them, ideally to the manycouches@xxxxxxxx mailing list.

> > Given how with dwindling travel budgets in many involved parties, a
> > lot of participants that can only afford to go to IETF in person once
> > a year in their region would like this frequency to go down to less
> > than once a year.
>
> Would like, or would not like?

I think whoever can/want to only go to a "local" IETF would prefer to
have that opportunity once a year.

And yes, there is statistically a preference for northern hemisphere,
but that reflects the distribution of bodies on the planet.

Cheers
    Toerless

--
---