Re: [117attendees] Making meeting attendance more affordable

On Fri, 28 Jul 2023 17:27:36 +0000,
Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [1  <multipart/signed (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1.1  <text/plain; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]
>

> >> I also know many people whoʼs IETF participation and work is self funded and are not part of big corporations And are major contributors.
> >
> > And I think there's never been an IETF in recent memory where there weren't budget hotels nearby. If the local host can also arrange nearby student-hostel style rooms, that's a good idea, of course.
>

> For example, right around the corner from the Hilton is the HI San Francisco Downtown Hostel.
>
> https://www.hiusa.org/find-hostels/california/san-francisco-312-mason-street
>
> Has both shared and private rooms.

I don't mean to point back to 'days of yore' attendees lists, but
.. for several meetings in a row I posted links to:
  yahoo-maps
  bing-maps
  google-maps

search result for hotel stays at/around the venue, all of which were
invariably 50% of the hotel rate. It takes 'as much effort' to book
the conference venue as it does to book literally any other place in
the 3-6 block distance.

Pointing to specific places has no impact on folks who can clearly NOT
adult and find a hotel on any mapping application on the internet.

Perhaps that was Bob's point here though?