RE: [117attendees] Making meeting attendance more affordable

Maybe locals with guest rooms could offer to host attendees on a budget à la couchsurfing.

It could even further improve the social experience of ietf.

-Francois

From: 117attendees <117attendees-bounces@xxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Bob Hinden
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2023 10:28 AM
To: Brian Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@xxxxxxxxx>; Dean Bogdanovic <dean@xxxxxxxxxxx>; IETF <ietf@xxxxxxxx>; 117attendees@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [117attendees] Making meeting attendance more affordable

I also know many people who’s IETF participation and work is self funded and are not part of big corporations And are major contributors.

And I think there's never been an IETF in recent memory where there weren't budget hotels nearby. If the local host can also arrange nearby student-hostel style rooms, that's a good idea, of course.

For example, right around the corner from the Hilton is the HI San Francisco Downtown Hostel.

Has both shared and private rooms.

Bob