Re: Advertising WG adoption and WG LCs requests [was RE: Interim (and other) meeting guidelines versus openness, transparency, inclusion, and outreach]

On 7/20/2023 10:35 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:
Carsten Bormann<cabo@xxxxxxx>  wrote:
     > Right, because datatracker has been designed for ADs, not for WG
     > chairs.  I get very little help out of datatracker doe the actual WG
     > chair work (the lists of documents, document history etc. of course are
     > great).  I can’t even enter begin and end dates of WG calls!  No
     > dashboard of calls running and completed, consensus recorded, etc.

This guidance from the DT would help a lot of new chairs, and even old chairs
when there are changes to the process.

Documenting the WG progress! This was one of my personal conclusions when writing RFC 8963. Many people are worried about the delays caused by last call, IESG processes or RFC editor work, but the bulk of the delays happen inside the working group. I get Robert Sparks' point about different working groups having different processes, but there is a point to be made for documenting progress and steps. In particular, it enables post-facto reviews, getting lessons from the past, improving processes, etc.

And yes, in practice the results of adoption calls will be documented in the new-wg-docs@ mailing list. So maybe advertise that list a little bit more, for people who want to just follow what is going on without having to subscribe to every working group list. That would solve half of the problem. The other half would be working group last calls.

-- Christian Huitema