Re: Interim (and other) meeting guidelines versus openness, transparency, inclusion, and outreach

On 7/17/23 17:29, Carsten Bormann wrote:

(The parallel discussion about RFC 8252 indicates that this does happen — we should maybe move our attention to that discussion rather than searching for the reasons in the way we have been running interims.  [This does not relieve us from the obligation to run them properly.])
There may be a wide range of opinions about what it means to run interim meetings "properly".

IMO, they should be infrequent (like at most every two months), publicly announced well in advance, held on dates and at times so as to not conflict with face-to-face meetings, and held in a variety of "time zones" so as to be equally accessible to all potential participants.

And if a group finds itself wanting to have more interim meetings, it's possible that it should instead make better use of mailing lists.

Keith

(though making effective use of email for technical discussions may be a largely-forgotten art.  Hint: read and answer your IETF email on a desktop rather than a mobile device)