Re: [Last-Call] OT: change BCP 83 [Re: Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins]

On Sun, Oct 2, 2022 at 4:43 PM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It occurs to me that perhaps people's experiences with other online
discussion fora in the past 20 years or so have conditioned or changed
people's expectations of behavior on IETF mailing lists. People are who
are burned out from toxicity in other fora may now be much less tolerant
of varying opinions on IETF lists than we once were.   But we still need
that tolerance to function.

I question the characterization of the raw materials under consideration here as mere "varying opinions".  The target of the PR action has proudly stated that his tactics involve the use of ridicule.  I prefer the term "polemics", but either way, it's not as simple as a difference of opinion.

If we're going to accept that euphemism, then I suggest we need to stop tossing around the word "censorship" as well.

-MSK