Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

I absolutely believe the cited messages display a pattern of unprofessional commentary in a manner disruptive enough to warrant a PR-Action. Please put me in the "support" column.

Building on what others have said elsewhere in this thread, I'd like to speak very frankly on the impact of this /kind/ of behavior on community. Some may have noticed that I went fairly directly from being an Area Director to being mostly absent on most mailing lists. I've been participating in the IETF in various capacities since 1997 -- frequently in areas that were unrelated to my day job -- because I believe in open standards, free standards, and standards in general. I like the stated ethos of the IETF, as described in the Tao and elsewhere. I have poured many thousands of hours of work into the IETF over the past 25 years.

Dan's behavior is an extreme example of a pathology that I've seen grow in the IETF over the past decade or so: while the magnitude of his actions is exceptional, the general direction they're taken in is sadly less so. It's not the sole reason, but I'd attribute most of my near-absence from the IETF to the pattern -- from some small but growing minority of participants -- of personal attacks, hostility, apparently intentional misinterpretation of good faith statements, transparently feigned offense, backlash against efforts to be more inclusive and welcoming, and various other misanthropic behaviors.

Gentle attempts by working group chairs and the ietf@xxxxxxxx Sergeants at Arms (SAAs) to provide feedback about these behaviors don't seem to have been effective. Far more often than not, I've seen such gentle reminders met with even worse behavior -- often quite abusive towards the chairs or SAAs -- and a continuation of the pattern of problematic messages. What's even worse is that a lot of this behavior comes from people who are giants in their field, who have contributed great technologies to the IETF and the Internet over the past 50 years, and who should be serving as role models for others in the community rather than pulling at the fragile threads that hold that community together. The local tragedy here is that Dan isn't a nobody: he's done good technical work for a long time in the IETF. The systemic tragedy is that we've somehow reached a point where he AND OTHERS feel that they have some kind of permission (or at least entitlement) to abuse people trying to get work done in the IETF.

PR-Actions are big hammers. I don't like seeing them used. Gentle reminders about the IETF code of conduct clearly don't work, and appear to do more harm than good (aside from the administrative effect of setting down a fossil record for future actions as necessary). I don't know what the answer is, and I spent a lot of my two terms on the IESG thinking about how we might make this better. Maybe we could build out a culture where violation of our code of conduct is swiftly called out as inappropriate by everyone -- and I mean everyone -- who sees it, so that the offenders can clearly see that their behavior is not appreciated by a majority of their colleagues. Maybe we build smaller, more nimble sticks into the system than only having a huge ban-hammer that takes years to swing. I'm not sure how to make any of these happen, though, and I have very little will left to function in the hell-pit that this small percentage of IETF participants who choose to be assholes has created. So I'm not around much any more, and I don't expect that to change much until the IETF, as a community, figures this out. If you have ideas, feel free to reach out -- I'll help work on any plausible approaches. Barring that, though, the toxicity is just too much for me any more. And if it's too much for an old-timer, imagine what this all looks like to newcomers.

But getting Dan Harkins off the mailing lists is at least a good first step.

/a