Re: [Last-Call] OT: change BCP 83 [Re: Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins]

On this aspect...

On 02/10/2022 10:12, Adam Roach wrote:

Oh, definitely. I could name a few additional episodes from my own recollection, but those aren't really what I'm referencing in my previous message. What I'm seeing -- and this is admittedly subjective because I have neither the time nor energy to quantify it -- is an increase in /frequency/ of such events, and an increase in the number of specific individuals who choose to participate in such a fashion as a matter of course, rather than simply when passions run high. To be clear, it's not good in either case; but it's the /routine/ toxicity that makes working here such a uniquely unpleasant experience nowadays.

I wonder if there's any less subjective metric that could be
applied to mailing list archives?

Reason to ask: I don't share Adam's perception that toxic
posts on IETF lists are more frequent these days - if I had
to guess I'd say those, and other rudenesses, are notably
less frequent compared to a decade or two ago.

I wonder if there's a correlation between such perceptions
and the extent to which people partake in the usual online
social networks that are reputedly quite toxic? I don't have
accounts on any of those myself but wouldn't be surprised if
perceptions of email traffic were affected by postings by the
same folk, or different folk on similar topics, seen in other
fora.

Cheers,
S.