Re: Workload constants [was I-D Action: draft-rsalz-termlimits-00.txt]

On 10/22/21 1:08 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:

    There was a huge difference in another metric, the time from initial
     draft to published RFC. Back in 1998, the median delay was one year. It
     was already more than 3 years in 2008, and still is. Much of the delays
     happen in the working group, from initial draft to last call.

So the common beliefs that things are taking longer is wrong (for the past 13 years!) and that the delays are because WG's are sending less-good documents to the IESG is wrong.

It's possible that "publishing an RFC" is a poor metric for meaningful work accomplished, because not all RFCs are of equal utility or importance even though they have more-or-less equal overhead in publication.

Even if less-good I-Ds don't bog down IESG (maybe IESG just throws up its hands and gives up trying to fix things that aren't fixable?), they might bog down the working groups trying to produce them.   People work harder when they believe their work is meaningful and/or get feedback from others, and discussions are more productive when there are enough interested parties to actively participate in them.

My theory for the possible increased mail traffic is that folks are doing more business between meetings, and the increased use of GitHub which increases volume because of increased participation.

Always good to have real numbers.

 It's good to have real numbers - you can get some useful insights from them sometimes - as long as you don't consider them more meaningful than they are.

Keith