Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

Dave,

I think there is some misunderstanding about my concerns, so I'd
like to back up a bit and review...

To be clear upfront where I am going with this, I believe it
would be acceptable (especially given that the issues did not
arise during normal Last Call or earlier) for the document to
be modified to indicate that concerns have been raised that the
definition of emoji_sequence is problematic, with an example or
two about why, and then to extend Section 7 to make clear that
we are looking for input on the definition: whether it is
comprehensible and allows too much or too little, and about any
interoperability or inter-cultural problems it causes. I'd
prefer to go a bit further (but only a bit); the background and
reasons are discussed below.

I believe that it has been generally understood since September
or October that this draft is about expressing "reactions"
(whatever that means) in emoji. I would have a good deal of
sympathy if you took the position that the several suggestions
to allow code points other than emoji and/or to allow verbal
descriptions or keywords that could be turned into graphics by
the receiving MUA are too late at this stage, but that is a
topic that you might take up with the IESG either as a general
issue or if a DISCUSS emerges asking that those proposals be
considered. I think those late comments may be a sign that our
Last Call process is failing for AD-sponsored documents and
will probably take that up with the IESG or on the IETF List as
soon as I figure out how to do better (and you or others should
do so if you have good ideas first). But those issues are very
different from my concern and Patrik's main ones: that
<part-content> and <emoji_sequence> are not defined in a way
that is likely to be helpful to the reader or implementer of
the spec, that they will be interpreted differently (in part
because UTS#51 is hard to understand and many implementers will
guess rather than bothering), and that the current definition
without some modification or qualification will weaken the
experiment the I-D proposes. It is not really a separate matter
because emoji and the definition leave everything entangled,
but the possibility that the receiver may interpret emoji or
strings of them very differently than the sender might intend,
is at least a different part of the problem.

I have tried to make clear in both my correspondence with the
IESG and in my first note on this list in this thread that,
while I would far prefer to get the definition nailed down to
the extent that people know what to implement (including what
should be sent and how strings that careful readings of UTS#51
would make clear are invalid are to be handled). A reasonable
person could argue that even an IETF Experimental specification
should not be adopted unless it is as clear as we know how to
make it about what should be implemented and how odd cases
should be handled but I have carefully avoided taking that sort
of showstopper position.

The difference between replacing the definition with a better
one, one that would presumably depend on UTS#51 only for
additional information, and handwaving our way around those
issues by making them part of the experiment are great enough
to motivate my resistance to writing text ... text that would
almost certainly turn the discussion from that choice (even if
non-emoji changes were excluded from the former option) into
discussion of the text itself.

Patrik and I have written a great deal more text in these
messages but, at least for me, the motivation was to explain
and document that the issues associated with the current
definition are significant enough that it would be
inappropriate to dismiss them as just not worth bothering with.
Should the community decide that actually fixing the
definition, or even supplying examples to explain open issues,
is needed, much of the text can probably be taken from those
notes, but, again, the motivation for them so far has been to
demonstrate that the topic really is important.

best,
   john