Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

On 2/25/21 11:47, Dave Crocker wrote:
The context of use for reactions is entirely different from domain names.

Without wading into the other points being made: I agree, and I think this is the winning argument. The complications that arise from Unicode in domain names are almost exclusively due to the fact that domain names are used as *identifiers* that are input to a lookup system instead of simply being displayed.

In the context that inreply-react describes, Unicode is used exactly and precisely the same way that Unicode is used in normal email bodies: these are glyphs that are meant to be displayed to a user. They're not database keys; lookalike attacks are of no consequence; normalization forms on the wire are fungible. None of the IDN issues arise, and so analogy to them does not hold. The considerations for these display elements need to be exactly as complex as the display considerations for Unicode in email bodies, and no more.

/a