Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

--On Friday, February 26, 2021 16:51 -0800 Dave Crocker
<dcrocker@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2/26/2021 4:24 PM, John R Levine wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021, Dave Crocker wrote:
>>
>> I'd flip it around.  What reason do we have to believe that
>> any  particular restricted vocabulary that we might define
>> would be useful to  users we don't know and who may not even
>> speak any language we speak?
>

> cf, the reference to established practice, which is
> distinguished from free-form text, which is what you now seem
> to be proposing (which is odd, given what stage of processing
> this draft is in.)

Actually, Dave, I see two families of existing user-facing
practice on the input side.  Your experience, and John's, is
likely broader than mine, so I would not be surprised if there
are exceptions to this distinction but I hope it is still useful.

(1) An emoji symbol gets picked from a menu (commonly called a
"pick list" or equivalent) or possibly a palette (I just used
"menu" below).  That menu may be a handful of symbols or it may
be a few (or even several) hundred, but it isn't 3000 or some
much larger (and growing) number [1].  The user typically does
not know (or care) whether that symbol represents a single code
point or a multi-code-point sequence, only that a grapheme that
at least vaguely resembles what they see and will ultimately be
seen by the recipient.  If, for example, the application wants
to make faces with five different skin tones available, that is
typically supported by either showing five separate face
graphemes or by having the five pop up or pull down when the
face is selected -- not by having the user select a face and
then an explicit Fitzpatrick modifier.  If a user wants to use a
response that isn't in the menu, they are just not going to be
able to use the response mechanism [2].    And note that I said
"An emoji symbol" because most (not all) of the applications
that use this approach allow exactly one of them per response
although some allow asynchronous responses or several responses
in a row.

(2) The second category (which I think is much more typically
about the use of emoji in running text and attempts to create
what might loosely be called sentences in picture-language than
about quick "reactions") allows far more flexibility.  That
usually includes at least some of the ability to intermix emoji
characters with text, automatic handling of keyboard shortcuts
(UTS#51 Section 6 mentions ":-)" or annotations (ibid.) and to
construct arbitrary emoji sequences.  Of course, some of these
systems allow symbol menus too, but they are just not restricted
to them.  And while they can often be used to provide a
"response", it just typically is not quick (unless the
application provides a cache of recent or frequent graphemes).

Obviously one advantage of the first category is that, other
than users whining about what is not in the menu, it is
extremely simple for both users and implementers.  The
repertoire is known, there is no need to get involved with
validation according to UTS#51, and, assuming the repertoire is
plausible (<base-emojis> is a start but, as others have pointed
out, it is a subset of common practice), no need to worry about
whether what goes in at one end will render plausibly at the
other. The concerns about rendering and interpretation choices
are, as you have pointed out, a different issue.. We may need to
agree to disagree about how important it is to address in this
spec, even if only as another "health warning" and/or subject on
which feedback is sought.

The I-D, depending on one's perspective, either intermixes the
two categories or talks about the first and focuses on the
second.  That is confusing and raises issues that sticking more
closely to the model of the first category would avoid.   I
don't think that is necessarily bad for an experimental spec --
in particular, I see no need and have no desire to try to settle
the disagreement you and John appear to be having--  but I think
text that identifies these issues as part of the experiment is
at least desirable and probably necessary.

Take "should free Unicode text be allowed in reactions?" as an
example and put aside the issue that "text" does not have a
uniform meaning in Unicode discussions.  The I-D now says "no"
even though it may not be easy to figure that out.  If the spec
is followed strictly, then I think John (and some others,
including me on odd-numbered days) are not only predicting it
will fail, but that it will probably fail badly enough that the
IETF would be wasting the community's time by publishing it.
However, put a sentence in somewhere indicating that the choice
or all of what UTS#51 allows and only what it allows as an Emoji
Sequence (UTS#51, version 13.1, ED-17) is known to be
controversial and one in Section 7 asking for feedback on
whether users insisted that implementations be more or less
restrictive (and whether more or less) would, I think, both
solve the problem, considerably improve the experiment, and let
us move forward.

If you and your co-authors are resistant to putting in those
types of sentences --and, again, I'm willing to work with you on
precise text as needed once there is consensus about what we
intend -- then I am forced to agree with John that the Last Call
was premature... and discuss the reasons why there were not
complaints about its being premature when it was announced, in
some other, broader, context.   But, at the moment, I still
favor adding qualifying and warning language, expanding the list
in Section 7 to include questions suggested by the discussions
of the last several days, and then pushing the document out over
trying to re-examine basic assumptions or syntax.

best,
   john

[1] John has explained where the latter numbers come from.

[2[ They could make suggestions to the implementer or proposals
to Unicode, but that does them no good in real time.