Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021, at 4:50 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
Take "should free Unicode text be allowed in reactions?" as an
example and put aside the issue that "text" does not have a
uniform meaning in Unicode discussions.  The I-D now says "no"
even though it may not be easy to figure that out.  If the spec
is followed strictly, then I think John (and some others,
including me on odd-numbered days) are not only predicting it
will fail, but that it will probably fail badly enough that the
IETF would be wasting the community's time by publishing it.
However, put a sentence in somewhere indicating that the choice
or all of what UTS#51 allows and only what it allows as an Emoji
Sequence (UTS#51, version 13.1, ED-17) is known to be
controversial and one in Section 7 asking for feedback on
whether users insisted that implementations be more or less
restrictive (and whether more or less) would, I think, both
solve the problem, considerably improve the experiment, and let
us move forward.

I am sincerely unsure what this paragraph means.

Do you mean that you (sometimes) feel that disallowing (for example) the reaction "Nice!" (that sequence of five characters) is likely to doom the proposal?  Or are you saying that the complexity of validation of the part-content is too high, and that it will too often be done wrong?

As for the proposed remedy, I think I'd need to read more about the way that experimental docs work before I had a clue as to its appropriateness, so I'll leave that to others for now.

--
rjbs