Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021, Ned Freed wrote:

>> particular
>> >
>> > cf, the reference to established practice, which is distinguished from
>> > free-form text, which is what you now seem to be proposing
>
>> I see a rule allowing a string of emoji, which we've heard is problematic,
>
> With precious little evidence to back it up, and no suggestions at all as to
> a useful alternative. ...

I can see two possibilities.  One is to say it's a single emoji, since
that seems to be what reaction buttons in existing chat applications do.

Ever hear of Slack? It most definitely allows for multiple reaction emoji. And
while I personally loathe Slack, it's (a) A very similar use-case and (b) Not
exactly unpopular.

I believe phpBB allows multiples as well, although I'm pretty sure it's emoji
support isn't Unicode based. With Drupal it depends on what module you use, but
only allowing one seems to be strongly correlated with only allowing a choice
from a small set.

The other is to say that since it's an experiment, allow any UTF-8 string
and let people see what's useful.

I've already explained why I think this is a really bad idea.

				Ned