Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021, Ned Freed wrote:

>> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021, Dave Crocker wrote:
>> I'd flip it around.  What reason do we have to believe that any particular
>> restricted vocabulary that we might define would be useful to users we
>> don't know and who may not even speak any language we speak?
>
> cf, the reference to established practice, which is distinguished from
> free-form text, which is what you now seem to be proposing

I see a rule allowing a string of emoji, which we've heard is problematic,

With precious little evidence to back it up, and no suggestions at all as to a useful alternative. ...

I can see two possibilities. One is to say it's a single emoji, since that seems to be what reaction buttons in existing chat applications do. The other is to say that since it's an experiment, allow any UTF-8 string and let people see what's useful.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY