Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

Hi. Barry asked that I, as well as Patrik, expand a bit on what
I said, off-list, to the IESG. First, let me stress that I
think this is a worthwhile experiment and should go forward. I
also believe it is entirely appropriate to include things about
which we are uncertain in an Experimental spec. However, if we
do, I think there is at least an ethical obligation for us to
be clear about known areas of uncertainty and to consider them
part of the experiment. The issues I see are with matters of
definition and what the experiment is about. I see the document
as fine on the definition of the MIME extension (plus or minus
questions Ban Kaduk has raised in his IESG comments). Where I
think there is a problem is that the message body content
(<part-content> in the text) is a small subset of what we
usually think of as plain text in UTF-8 but is not adequately
defined (or the challenges with doing so identified).

Patrik and I are focused on slightly different issues as most
important but I should stress that we are, at least AFAICT, in
complete agreement on what the issues are. I'm going to try to
summarize the key ones for those who dislike long messages; I
will follow up if needed with an inevitably-longer one with
more details.

The document's definition of the allowed characters
incorporates Unicode UTS#51 (which the I-D references through
[Emoji-Seq]) by reference. That is problematic in multiple ways
that go beyond our criteria for normative references to
documents produced by other bodies and how relaxed we should be
about those criteria for Experimental specification. The I-D
even indicates that the syntax for its key content syntax rule
is inherited from UTS#51, but UTS#51 does not contain (or use)
ABNF. The syntax definition language it uses is defined
elsewhere in the family of Unicode specifications; someone
trying to understand the syntax that the I-D supposed imports
will need to understand much of Unicode. I think that is an
unreasonable requirement but, if others disagree, the I-D
should at least warn people about what they are getting into
rather than saying "The ABNF rule Emoji-Seq is inherited from
[Emoji-Seq]" and stopping.

Another issue with UTS#51 is that the document, and the other
documents and tables on which it depends, change with each
version of Unicode to the extent that it is possible for a
sequence to be invalid in one (annual or more frequent) version
of Unicode and valid in another. That further complicates our
long-standing problem (discussed in IDNA2008 and PRECIS) with
how to handle unassigned code points. More on that, and
especially about its rendering implications, if a longer note
is needed.

In general, while I believe it is reasonable to be more relaxed
about definitions and other things because this is an
Experimental spec [1], it seems to me that, if we do so and
know those are problem areas, we are under some obligation to
identify those areas and ask for feedback on whether they were
problems in practice as part of the experiment.

I see several possible ways forward but the most plausible one
-- if we are to avoid going off in directions we have not
explored before (and likely introducing significant delay) --
is, approximately:

Leave the spec more or less as is but identify the issues with
dependency on UTS#51 as an evolving document that is long
(especially when the data files on which most of its
definitions rest are included) and complex. Also identify the
issues with alternate renderings and cultural interpretations
that the new text in draft-crocker-inreply-react-09 makes a
start on (but which I believe is too abstract to be useful
without examples or more description). In addition, make it
clear that part of the experiment is to gain some understanding
of whether the use of emoji (or other types of reactions) cause
cross-cultural problems (especially with multi-recipient
messages with recipients in widely different locales), more
complex features are used in practice, whether MUAs run into
rendering problems, and whether the UTS#51 dependencies are
problematic in practice.

An alternative, the one I think Patrik is now suggesting after
today's discussion, would be to limit the body content to a
line consisting of one or more emoji drawn from an enumerated
list of single-code-point emoji. That would considerably
simplify the spec but might reduce the feedback we would get
about interest and usability.  Or, as I think Adam is
suggesting, we could also allow symbol sequences, possibly
drawn only from the ASCII symbol repertoire. If we were to do
that, the question of whether emoji sequences and combinations
were needed (i.e., whether there was significant user demand
for them) should be explicitly part of the experiment. That
approach
would have the advantages of both eliminating the need for a
reference to UTS#51 except for emoji definitions more specific
than those in the I-D text and of expanding the possible range
of "reactions". UTS#51 would become a relatively ordinary
normative reference, one consistent with what it actually
specifies. However, it would require us to agree on which code
points are allowed and which are not and would not eliminate
the need to discuss the cultural issues (particularly with
regard to the hand gestures that are now included in the
<base-emojis> set) and, if more than one code point is allowed
on the line, raises possible sequencing, delimiter, and Bidi
issues that we would need to at least consider and possibly
sort out.

And, before someone says "send text", I'm willing to do so but
only when it is clear what the community consensus is terms of
strategy.

best,
   john

[1] Thanks to Barry for a comment in an offlist note that
helped me focus on this.