Re: [Gendispatch] Diversity and Inclusiveness in the IETF

Hi, Rich,

On 25/2/21 20:49, Salz, Rich wrote:
When you're changing the way of contributing, you're not
universally
"reducing the barrier". -- certainly not for somebody that does't do
git.

The IETF has not changed the way people contribute.  Drafts are still
posted to the datatracker, mailing lists still exist for feedback and
comment (and must be used for confirming consensus, etc).  Just
because there are more paths into the datatracker now.  I mean,
probably around 1985-1995 we all just FTP'd the documents we wanted
to read.  Is anyone going to argue that it's not easier now?

Based on some comments it seems that in some cases a significant fraction of the discussion moved to github. Hence my question.
In such a case, participants are kind of required to participate in github.

I didn't participate much (if at all) in the recommendations regarding the use of github in the ietf. And my assumtion was that for the most part it was more of a "use it if deemed useful", but was assuming the discussions that would lead to changes to remain in the mailing-lists.

Point taken. So... mailing list are seen as a problematic mechanism
carry our work?

For some people I think the answer is yes.  It seems that overall use
of email is declining, but it's hard to get real numbers without
getting tangled up in email marketing newsletter business.  But I
feel like you keep trying to have me make blanket assertions and I
don't want to do that.

No, no. It was a honest question. Me I wasn't aware about some of the assumptions that were mentioned in the thread... hence my questions.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks