Re: [Gendispatch] Diversity and Inclusiveness in the IETF

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 12:40 PM Salz, Rich <rsalz=40akamai.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    This is not the first "proposal" associated with diversity (in this
    case, engagin open source developers) with not much of a rationale
    behind it :-) , so to speak...

The rationale is that there are millions of people using GitHub, and if do documents with their toolchain, we will get more feedback from developers than if we tried to draw them into our toolchain.  I didn't realize that was what you were asking me.  This rationale was stated multiple times in the GIT WG.

FWIW, my impression of the situation is the same as Rich's. I can say with confidence that when TLS decided to adopt Github it was because we had seen that it worked well in H2. With that said, I do think it made it easier for people to get involved, in part because it was easy to offer small changes without subscribing to a list, etc. It certainly made it easier to accept such contributions.

-Ekr

Marc:
> What I saw is the opposite:  Open source developers were already working with the IETF, and some of them shoved GitHub down our throats.

Interesting viewpoint.  Did you attend any of the WG meetings?  I didn't see your name in the mailing list archives.