Re: [Gendispatch] Diversity and Inclusiveness in the IETF

On 25/2/21 16:48, Salz, Rich wrote:
If a WG somewhat requires use of github, then the barrier is
there.

Since no person, or no WG, has infinite resources, almost any
attempts to engage some people mean that some others feel left out.
(Note the almost)

Why do you think git/github will engage somebody that would otherwise not be engaged?

The IETF still maintains that no matter how git/GitHub are used, the
classic mechanisms of email, etc., still must be used.

When discussions end up spread over gihub and email lists, that's not a nice feature, IMO.

Does that mean
some conversations aren't fully discussed on the email, and some
people feel left out? Yes.  Some people also dislike MIME email,

I use the least common denominator: plain text email.

Still most email clients will mangle patches sent via email -- which happens to be the normal workflow some projects such as the linux kernel and openbsd -- so at least for those things you'll probably resort to mutt or the like.

and
the moving away from IPv4 and FTP.  Things change.  For myself, I am
just glad that we're not commenting on things via SMS.  I am tempted
to create an OnlyFans account for ACME or HTTPAPI, tho. :)

My take is: if the tool improves your workflow, go for it. If it will get in the way, don't.

--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks