Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: Advancing the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) to Internet Standard

--On Friday, February 19, 2021 10:38 -0500 Barry Leiba
<barryleiba@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Would it be acceptable to change the text in the
>> > status-change document to clarify the situation with
>> > respect to Whois?
>>
>> Yes.  In my original note, I wrote, as one option "...could be
>> done by ... [or]  by a revised statement justifying the change
>> in maturity level".   That would certainly be consistent with
>> the above.
>
> Does this work for you?  If not, please adjust and
> counter-propose:
>
> OLD
> This status change, therefore, requests a change in status for
> RFCs 7480 and 7481 from Proposed Standard to Internet Standard.
>
> NEW
> This status change, therefore, requests a change in status for
> RFCs 7480 and 7481 from Proposed Standard to Internet Standard.
>
> While it is a stated goal in RFC 7480 that "RDAP is a successor
> protocol to the very old WHOIS protocol," WHOIS remains widely
> deployed and in active use, and is likely to be so for some
> time.  This action addresses only the maturity of RDAP itself,
> and makes no statement nor implication about WHOIS.
>
> END

Barry,

I think that is possibly ok and thanks for suggesting the text.
I think it would be better if you (or Scott) could add a
sentence or two about _where_ RDAP is deployed and in use.   For
most of the users of the Internet who have heard of either Whois
or RDAP, "Whois" = "DNS lookup". For them, the claim that RDAP
is widely deployed is questionable.  I'd write the sentences,
but I don't have the data.

For example, if it is in wide use in the address registries,
let's say that.  If it is the actual back end for the web-based
interfaces for a significant number of TLD registries, let's say
that (even if you have to weight "number of TLD registries by
number of registrants to make that true)?   If, when I use the
Whois protocol to access information in those registry
databases, I'm really using a front-end shim over RDAP, say that
too.

I suspect all of those things may be true but, again, I don't
have the data.   Scott and Andy certainly should (in a more
ideal world, the information would even be in the implementation
report0, so this should be matter or a sentence or three, not a
research project.

thanks,
    john