Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: Advancing the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) to Internet Standard

--On Monday, February 15, 2021 14:44 +0000 "Hollenbeck, Scott"
<shollenbeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

A reading of 7480, especially in the context of the assertion of
widespread deployment, could lead a reasonable person to expect
that either WHOIS should be gone by now or that an explanation
of why its use has not very significantly decreased.   I can't
make general statements with any confidence but I think we have
often hesitated to move specifications to Internet Standard when
their documentation says that they are intended to solve
specific problems by replacing an earlier protocol when there is
evidence that the marketplace does not agree because that
earlier protocol is still in very active use.. perhaps in even
wider use than the supposed replacement.

So I am suggesting that a review and modification of the
Abstract and Section 1 of 7480 to make clear that, while
replacement/ superceding of WHOIS is progressing much more
slowly than the document and the relevant WG anticipated in
2015, you are still optimistic that it will succeed (as earlier
attempts to supercede WHOIS did not) and why... or that it is
valuable enough to be an Internet Standard regardless of what
happens to/with WHOIS.  At least the former could be done by
issuing a replacement document with adjustments to the relevant
language (my preference I think), by a revised statement
justifying the change in maturity level, or, I suppose (but do
not favor because of the difficulties of finding such things)
the implementation report.

Whether that is "needed" or not depends on how the community
feels about advancing a document to Internet standard that
contains misleading language about its status.   But I suggest
that a clarification in some form would be desirable.

>> (4) Finally, if the intention of moving these documents to
>> Internet Standard at this time is, even partially, to act as
>> a forcing function for getting rid of WHOIS, can that please
>> be explicit rather than having people asking "why now"
>> questions.
>> > From my perspective, if it is just a matter of an outgoing
>> > AD
>> trying to clean up as many loose end as possible, I have no
>> problem with that, but it would be good to be clear.

> I'll leave the consensus questions for the IESG, but the
> intention of the request to advance the RDAP RFCs to Standard
> status is NOT to force deprecation of WHOIS. It's about
> recognizing the implementation and deployment success of RDAP.
> I imagine that there will need to be a "move WHOIS to Historic
> status" request at some point in the future if it ever falls
> into disuse.

Good about recognizing the implementation and deployment success
of RDAP.  I am just suggesting that 7480 strongly implies an
additional success criterion, one of superceding WHOIS.  That
has been less successful and I believe that the process of
advancing these documents should recognize that particular fact
on the ground.

Again, I don't object to advancing the RDAP specifications; I
just believe that the documentation should be accurate relative
to the facts in evidence.

 best,
   john