Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: Advancing the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) to Internet Standard

--On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 15:55 -0500 Barry Leiba
<barryleiba@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Would it be acceptable to change the text in the status-change
> document to clarify the situation with respect to Whois?

Yes.  In my original note, I wrote, as one option "...could be
done by ... [or]  by a revised statement justifying the change
in maturity level".   That would certainly be consistent with
the above.

> It seems unfortunate to re-issue these two RFCs with no
> substantive changes, just to say "No, really, this is going to
> Internet Standard but Whois is still around and will be for a
> while, and that doesn't change."

I have to admit to being Old School enough to believe that the
IETF (and its predecessors) were better off when any change to
the text or assertions of a specification, other than obvious
editorial errors, was addressed with a new RFC rather than
assorted comments, statements, notices, errata, and notes
scattered around the web. Perhaps because of that, I read the
requirements for advancing a document unchanged as favoring a
new document in this case (and perhaps interpret "substantive"
differently as a further result).  But I (and others who believe
that way) lost that battle long ago, so elaborating on this in
the status-change document is probably a reasonable approach.

thanks,
   john