Re: [Last-Call] [Ntp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ntp-yang-data-model-10.txt> (A YANG Data Model for NTP) to Proposed Standard

On 2/19/2021 8:34 AM, tom petch wrote:
On 19/02/2021 15:05, Salz, Rich wrote:
I thought a Yang model was supposed to be an on-the-wire representation of what the server did. Am I wrong? If I'm right, then the issue around MD5 is with the server, not this doc.

Rich

There are two issues with MD5 and NTP.

One is security, where a crypto-hash is used to authenticate NTPv4 packets, and the hash specified in the NTPv4 base spec was MD5 but this was updated by RFC8573 so that MD5 is now deprecated.  I picked up on this in my first review, that the YANG model used MD5 and made no mention of its deprecation.  I knew that RFC8573 should be included but was unclear whether or not it would be acceptable to still include MD5.  Ben, Security AD, said yes, we should, and that is what we now have (along with a number of other hash).  My recent comment was that the Netconf WG label SHA1 as obsolete so should we include it? and what about such as SHA3? The more options the greater a risk of mismatch but that is not an issue I am equipped to resolve, likely one for the IESG (much as I hate generating work for them).

The other MD5 usage is generating a 32-bit identifier with a good probability of being unique, for entities with IPv6 address, and that I see no problem with, as Ben confirmed.  That means that the I-D will reference the MD5 RFC, which is Informational and so potentially a downref.  Again, one for the AD to resolve (which is why I put it first on my previous post).

There is another problem. Because MD5 is deprecated, some software development organizations have checks that prevent use of MD5. The test suites will include such checks, and the software will normally not ship if the checks detect presence of MD5 in the product. Of course there are ways around, but they are not quite as simple as replacing MD5 by SHA256, even for those "non crypto" cases.

-- Christian Huitema