Re: Diversity of candidates was Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

On 1/25/2021 5:06 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

I suggested your participation as the person who selects the Nomcom chair, not for any desire to have the ISOC be funding AD and IAB positions.

I see.  I think it would be inappropriate for the person who selects the nomcom chair to be involved in activities that attempt to adjust what the nomcom evaluates, because it might appear to be an attempt to put a finger on the scale.  So I think it would not be advisable for me to be involved in this activity.

I don't actually see why it would be inappropriate.  What we're trying to do is affect the input of the set of IETF participants which will eventually - say in 3-5 years - affect the input set of WG chairs and authors - which will eventually - say in another 3-5 years affect the input set of candidates for the Nomcom.   I would say that you'd have to weigh a lot more than you do now to be able to put a finger on the scales  and affect something 6-10 years out in a manner that's not in the noise.

Another point is that the IETF is more about getting good technical stuff out, whereas the ISOC is all about "... promot[ing] the open development, evolution, and use of the Internet for the benefit of all people throughout the world".  Those have some points of intersection, but as has been pointed out - the IETF tends to be a bit parochial.  Having the ISOC involved in supporting an IETF diversification effort seems like a no brainer.

But it may be the case you're the wrong position at ISOC to be involved and that someone else might be a better choice - worth a discussion.

Later, Mike