Re: Diversity of candidates was Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

On 1/26/2021 2:22 PM, Jay Daley wrote:

On 26/01/2021, at 7:39 PM, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I think that "the appropriate people" was meant to refer to the managers
that approve travel+time to attend/contribute to the IETF, not the people
actually doing the contributing.  So the conversation might go something
like "hi, we see you send a lot of smart people to the IETF; thank you!
However, the IETF is looking at its diversity numbers, and it seems that
the distribution of people you send to the IETF is different from your
overall distribution of staff.  Can you think of ways to make the
distribution of people you send to IETF more closely match your overall
staff distribtion, so that the IETF in turn can more closely match the
overall population?"

That is exactly how I would do it.

Jay

Actually, I'd probably approach C or S suite folk at the larger companies for the same reason I didn't suggest approaching the smaller companies:  Basically, if you've got a company population of 5-10K or more and are sending 20-30 people, there's a good chance that if asked nicely, we might get a few others from that company of different demographics, especially if the C or S folk influence company policy.   Approaching a manager or even a manager of managers is unlikely to result in many additions or changes as they're probably already sending what they can afford (budget and time wise) based on the goals of their part of the organization.  Ditto for smaller companies.

I like the restatement Ben made above.

Mike