Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021, at 05:20, Salz, Rich wrote:

Congratulations to those picked for the incoming leadership positions. Of the people whom I know, they are all intelligent people, with good technical knowledge, but seem always open to discussion and changing their mind. I am sure those that I don’t know are similar. I can’t find fault with any of these choices.

And yet …

When looked at collectively, I am very disappointed. The number of women in leadership has not changed. On the IESG, every incumbent was re-selected, except for one who moved over from IESG to the IAB.  On the IAB, three of five incumbents were picked. The IETF Trust and LLC Board members were similarly re-appointed incumbents. Nobody was added who is not employed by a large Internet or service provider company, except for one re-appointed incumbent who works at a “think tank” with deep historical ties to the IETF.

Hi Rich,

You make some very interesting points here.  I'm interested in whether you think the issue is with the pool of available candidates who put their hands up for roles, or with the selection process not valuing diversity sufficiently.

And of course there is a related question here - regardless of which you think the root cause - because we are an organisation composed of those who show up.  That question is:

of the available candidates, if you had the choice, who would you have selected instead of those who were chosen?  i.e. what would your "perfect" slate have been, given the candidates that were available.

Cheers,

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd