Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

Congratulations to those picked for the incoming leadership positions. Of the people whom I know, they are all intelligent people, with good technical knowledge, but seem always open to discussion and changing their mind. I am sure those that I don’t know are similar. I can’t find fault with any of these choices.

And yet …

When looked at collectively, I am very disappointed. The number of women in leadership has not changed. On the IESG, every incumbent was re-selected, except for one who moved over from IESG to the IAB.  On the IAB, three of five incumbents were picked. The IETF Trust and LLC Board members were similarly re-appointed incumbents. Nobody was added who is not employed by a large Internet or service provider company, except for one re-appointed incumbent who works at a “think tank” with deep historical ties to the IETF.