RE: Kudos to MeetEcho

Going back in the thread to this comment...

> To hums: the default *appears* to be "piano" from headcount, if you do
> not interact
> therefore, graphing hum volume by headcount includes non-interactors
> and this "moves the dial"
>
> if not, then why is there no clear 'abstain' button. and how is the
> logic behind how the total sum and hum-weighting applied?
>
> APNIC designed a similar (in intent) system called "confer" to show
> dynamic state of the room. Its hard. Its hard to explain and get this
> stuff right.
>
> I did not find the hum indicated anything I felt I trusted.
> Experientally, "hearing" a hum and being told "here is the weighted
> sum of things you cannot see" is completely different.
>
> I would prefer to be told how many hummed. how many explicitly chose
> to say "no view" and how many did not participate, and I would prefer
> to be told how the hum weighting occurs. not in an RFC: on the tool.
> all the time.

I think it's often difficult to define the right or a meaningful metric for a set of measurements.
In a physical room, WG chairs are able to look at how many people are in the room, and whether the hum is loudly (or softly) emanating from a few people or from the room as a whole. The chair bases their consensus metric on all these visible and audible measurements.
What George said in this email resonated with me --
I would prefer to get the raw measurements rather than have the tool define a metric that is inconsistent with my metric.
If we could just be provided (1) number of people in the room (which we already have), and (2) number of people humming at each volume level (loud/medium/soft), and trust the chairs not to consider this a vote (which I think should be a reasonable expectation), it would make it easier for the chair to mentally create a consensus metric, rather than have a metric imposed on them by the tool.
Barbara