Re: Kudos to MeetEcho

Without singling out any particular comment, I think there are
at least two things have have gotten lost in the discussions and
suggestions.  I assume that, in at least some cases, people
didn't know.

First, I don't know whether this should have been made explicit
earlier or not, but this is not the first time the IETF has used
Meetecho.  Many of us have been using it for remote
participation for years and a great deal of effort has gone into
making it work smoothly for IETF's way of working [1].  I assume
we are probably a little more critical than many of their
customers but assume "our" changes have become, possibly with
small variations, part of their main product offering.  I
believe their other customers have including many all remote, or
all remote other than a very small number of people in a central
location, setups, so the assumption in some messages that
Meetecho has never been used before in an all-remote situation
(or very close to it) is probably incorrect.  I don't know if
the latter is accurate but, if it is important, I think we
should ask rather than jumping to conclusions.

Second, many changes have occurred, at least to the user
interfaces, between our use for remote participants at IETF 106
and this week.  Personally, I like some of the changes but
believe others show signs of having been done in haste and with
too little thought and/or time for testing and review.  I accept
Jay's assertion that those changes were not micromanaged by the
IETF leadership or staff, but note that Greg Wood indicated
during and after one of the test sessions that at least some of
those changes had been made at the behest of an IETF design
committee and that that the I-D and discussions of the hum
feature are quite explicit that the specifications came from the
IESG.

It is probably helpful to remember something else I learned a
half-century ago about UI design.  An experimental psychologist
colleague I worked with them was fond of staying that, when
people tried to evaluate a system, what they already knew was
almost always better (obviously, just because they are used to
it).  For those who did not actively use Meetecho for remote
participation during IETF 106 and earlier and who have spent a
significant fraction of the last months on Zoom, WebEx,
GoToMeeting, and their competitors, and who did not attend the
test sessions, Meetecho probably feels very strange and is at a
significant disadvantage.  I recommend giving it a chance and
doing so with an open mind.

If, as appears to be the case from the timing of the
announcements, all of this was done on relatively short notice.
We should be impressed that it works and identifying issues and
making suggestions for improvements.  If we want to make
suggestions about replacing all of it with COTS software, we
should consider how much effort has gone into trying to adapt
Meetecho for IETF needs and remember that, before Meetecho came
along, we tried to do remote participation with WebEx and, well,
it didn't work out very well.

best,
  john

[1] In the interest of full disclosure, I participated in a few
design sessions along with Alexa, Ray, and some Meetecho staff
(and maybe others; I don't remember).  I think I got sucked in
because I started being intermittently involved in research in
user interface and usability issues in distributed office
teleconferencing systems in the early 1980s, studies that
involved real experimental psychologists and controlled
comparison of different approaches.  And I may have been
compensated with some travel reimbursements or a registration
fee waiver or two -- not significant enough that I remember.