Re: Kudos to MeetEcho

Hi Ekr,

On 2020-07-28 13:54, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 4:43 AM Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> > The point being that these bespoke tools have a cost, not just in units
>> of
>> > dollars, but also in choice, reliability, etc.  We should think hard
>> about
>> > what is so essential in our DNA that it merits all the costs.
>>
>> And base decisions and engineering on real data, instead of guesswork.
>>

> I have no special insight in what is happening, but I would make two points:
>
> 1. A number of people are experiencing authorization failures (as Richard
> reports)

Yes, and all of them boil down to one issue:  These are people who have
multiple registrations (hackathon, remote) where they have used different
email addresses for the different registrations, and there has been a
difficulty connecting up the registration with the required 'remote' reg_type
for WG/RG session participation with the datatracker login.

> 2. For some reason, Meetecho seems to be re-contacting the datatracker
> every time the user joins a new session rather than remembering that the
> user is authenticated. This seems like it potentially exacerbates (1),

This is as designed.  Meetecho knows nothing about a new connection than
what it gets from the datatracker, and arguably should not.  If you want to
change this, I think you'll need to re-design OpenID Connect.  Anyway,
the load of the OpenID Connect queries is maybe one tenth of the remaining
load at peak login, so why exactly is this an issue?

(FWIW, I thought about caching myself, but realized that there would be
security issues with that, and let it go, since the load simply wasn't an
issue).

	Henrik