Re: Kudos to MeetEcho

On 2020-07-28 13:54, Richard Barnes wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 7:43 AM Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2020-07-28 13:17, Richard Barnes wrote:
>> > This morning I feel quite far from where we should be with MeetEcho,
>> since
>> > I am unable to access any of the sessions ("Unauthorized").  I've heard
>> out
>> > of band that others are having similar problems.  It appears to be a
>> > Datatracker capacity issue compounded by MeetEcho's failure to do SSO
>> > properly (and thus 100x'ing DT load).  Two bespoke tools conspiring to
>> trip
>> > us up.
>>
>> And a lot of FUD not based on reality.
>>
>> This morning, the maximum number of connections per second to the
>> datatracker
>> has been 12, and we are currently set up to handle 100 in parallel.
>> Average
>> response time including slow pages is ~0.8s.
>>

> The fact that this had to be manually adjusted at meeting time, apparently
> not having been scale-tested in advance, is exactly the problem here.

Again, you're guessing, and guessing wrong.

There was no adjustment of this at meeting time, and no need for it.

>> There's been no 100x of load, and Meetecho is following the OpenID Connect
>> protocol perfectly.
>>

> To be explicit about what I mean: Normal SSO services cache login results
> so that they don't have to hit the OpenID endpoint every time.  MeetEcho
> apparently does not, because it requires login for each session.  So every
> time a session starts, MeetEcho is slamming the datatracker with login
> requests, when it could have sent none at all.  I used "100x" because there
> are around 100 people in the MASQUE session this morning, but it's really
> much higher because the denominator should be basically zero.

I'm sorry?  If you have 100 people who need to hit the datatracker 3 times
for 3 sessions, instead of 1 time, the factor is 3x, not 100x.

>> The point being that these bespoke tools have a cost, not just in units of
>> > dollars, but also in choice, reliability, etc.  We should think hard
>> about
>> > what is so essential in our DNA that it merits all the costs.
>>
>> And base decisions and engineering on real data, instead of guesswork.
>>

> I'm not guessing, it's clear from the MeetEcho UI that they're doing SSO
> wrong.

It's perfectly clear that you're guessing at causes, and repeatedly guessing
wrong.

	Henrik