Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

> Il 24/07/2020 11:44 Ladislav Lhotka <ladislav.lhotka@xxxxxx> ha scritto:
>
> > As
> >
> >     https://www.etymonline.com/word/slave
> >
> >     originally "Slav"
>
> So maybe users of Slavonic languages (like me) should feel offended in
> the first place. :-)

Though the most likely etymology goes the opposite way: "Slav[[on]ic]" seems to be an autochtonous term that was then imported into medieval Latin as "sclavus", with the meaning of slave, in the second half of the first millennium, when the Byzantine and Holy Roman empires used to get their slaves from those peoples. So slavery was named after Slavonic peoples, not the opposite. But it looks like those peoples have long overcome the trauma :-)

> It is perhaps also interesting that the Italian greeting "ciao" means
> also the same as "schiavo" (in a Venetian dialect, I believe).

Sure, from Venice via Lombardy, with the same meaning as the Bavarian-Austro-Hungarian "servus".

(Perhaps we do need an IETF list for language curiosities after all)

--
Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx