Re: [patch] add INPUT key reporting to thinkpad_acpi

On Tue, 22 May 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > > Ick indeed. It should really be automatic (ie. no need to poke anywhere
> > > to get the events back to user-space).
> >
> > No way, no how.  The firmware often does better at it.
>
> Does better than userspace? By taking control of the backlight

Yes, as in "it works".  Userspace/linux doesn't know how to do all that the
firmware does in every thinkpad out there, and I doubt it ever will, as that
would require IBM and Lenovo to cooperate opening the firmware docs, etc.

Setting that hotkey mask is model-specific knowledge.  While I wouldn't mind
much doing it in kernel space, I have been told to not do that.

> Like I said before, on my X60, all the buttons do the hardware action
> even with the hotkeys enable. I'll update the bios later today, and see
> if this is still the case with the latest bios.

So far it looks like the X60 changed the interface but kept non-functioning
bits of the older interface around.  Argh.

> Well, I really wanted new keys in input.h, but we do need to get this
> working out of the box. The number of users that are going to enable the
> hotkeys at boot is going to be a fraction of one percent. I think we
> need a way to (at least) to toggle this as a module option. Would you
> accept a patch for this?

No.  That's why I am making the keycode map configurable.  We have three
choices, in order of preference:

	1. New keys get accepted in input.h.

	2. Someone starts writing a thinkpad userland helper to configure
	   thinkpad-acpi based on DMI.  I may take on this, if I have the
	   time.  But if someone offers to do so, I would like that a lot.

	   This would be a good idea even if we get (1) above.

	3. HAL or something else GNOME/KDE takes care of the keycode map,
	   and I add a lock so that the admin can still override them and
	   have it stick.

Given how nosy KDE and GNOME are already becoming on thinkpads, to the
point that I always ask people debugging thinkpad-acpi to do stuff at single
user mode, I am very heavily biased for (1) AND (2) happening.

BTW, currently I am extremely unamused on how incomplete and messed up sysfs
is.  Binary attributes are so much of a second-class-citizen, as are
subdirectories, that I might have to change the thinkpad-acpi sysfs
interface.  It is a *good* think I warned in the docs the sysfs interface
was still heavily experimental and not stable, so I will not accept any
complains over it :-)

  Henrique Holschuh