Re: [patch] add INPUT key reporting to thinkpad_acpi

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 09:26 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > > You get full credits, of course, and I will wait an ACK from you before I
> > > push it anywhere.  It was your idea, and your patch probably is just fine as
> > > far as "it works" goes, so you get to comment and offer suggestions before I
> > > merge it.
> >
> > One comment I was about to make, are the INPUT events emitted even
> > without a "echo enable,0xffff >/proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey"?
>
> No, they are not.

Ick.

> I am working on letting one change which input events are sent for each
> hotkey, though.  I will also try to get the KEY_FN_* missing macros in
> input.h, but if that fails, well, at least it will be configurable.

Sure, I think only KEY_FN_HOME and KEY_FN_END are needed for my X60.

Alternatively, we could match against the dmi data (from the dmi class)
and then do the conversion of FnF2 to KEY_LOCK in the thinkpad_acpi
driver itself.

> It is a pity the sonypi guys got some non-generic keys in there instead of
> asking for a set of 16 "KEY_MODELSPECIFC_1..16" or somesuch which we could
> use for these things.  All FN keys should be something like that, in fact...
> or we should just work on expanding the !@#$ keycode space right away,
> trying to limit the usefulness of these things is a bad idea, anyway...

Heh, yes, frustrating.

> > >From a end user perspective, this stuff should probably just work.
>
> I am still trying to get the input events routed to the core keyboard.  Do
> you know how that can be archieved?  Right now they work just fine, but you
> have to open and process the relevant event* device to get the events...

Yes, I found that KEY_POWER would be routed, but KEY_FN_F1 would not be.
I suspect something is filtering these keys.

> > Thanks for your review - do you have a latest tree with the two patches
> > applied? You have my ACK for anything that adds input events.
>
> Heh.  Soon.

I'm impatient, sorry :-)

>   Let me fix the remaining bugs and I will post it as a git
> branch.  When it is ready, I will send it for comments on linux-acpi and
> LKML (required due to the addition of stuff to input.h).

Sure, sounds good.

> It is already working on 2.6.20, though, with some rough edges on the
> keycode remap sysfs interface (it requires binary attributes, which I am
> dealing with for the first time in my life).

What is the keycode-remap interface? Do you mean using something like a
kernel version of KDSETKEYCODE?

Also, is the aim to deprecate or remove the hotkey events, or shall I
add workarounds to HAL so we don't get double events?

Richard.