Re: Adding rfkill support to thinkpad_acpi

On Mon, 21 May 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Has there been any work on implementing rfkill for thinkpad_acpi? If
> there is nobody working on this I am offering to add support into
> thinkpad_acpi this week.

Yes, I have been talking to the rfkill people, but we had some disagreements
on how to best to it.  I let it rest for a week or so to think better about
some issues they raised, and also in order not to waste too much bandwidth
from either side of the issue.

Basically, I want a "fetch data from the hardware to know what state it is
in for real" interface.  They want a "find a way to make sure the hardware
is doing what we told it to do" interface.

I might even find out that we are better off not using rfkill in
thinkpad-acpi itself, and letting the bluetooth and wwan drivers process it.
We shall see.  The thinkpad ACPI interface does a lot more than just
radio-kill, it actually kills power to the *devices* themselves, AFAIK
(removes them from the USB bus, causing hotunplug events).  Anyone with a
bluetooth and WWAN device, please speak up.

So far, what I got is that rfkill is all about handling "please disable
radios" system-wide events, and not about providing drivers with a standard
sysfs interface to enable/disable radio functionality.  At least for now.

  Henrique Holschuh