Re: [patch] add INPUT key reporting to thinkpad_acpi

On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 17:12 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> NAK (patch rejected), but idea and mostly of the code accepted.
>
> The patch *is* good as far as I can see, but I decided to respin it to use a
> global input device for the entire thinkpad-acpi driver, for now.  If we
> have a strong reason to register multiple input devices later, we can change
> that.

Sure, I wasn't sure which to do, so this is fine with me.

> I am also breaking the patch into at least two parts (input device and
> hotkey input device support).  I prefer to have the things very granular,
> small and obvious, as they get clobbered together anyway when sent to Linus
> (so he doesn't mind the number of patches), and Len seems to prefer the
> patches small and simple as well, even if they get a bit numerous because of
> that.

Yes, sounds good.

> You get full credits, of course, and I will wait an ACK from you before I
> push it anywhere.  It was your idea, and your patch probably is just fine as
> far as "it works" goes, so you get to comment and offer suggestions before I
> merge it.

One comment I was about to make, are the INPUT events emitted even
without a "echo enable,0xffff >/proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey"?

>From a end user perspective, this stuff should probably just work.

> The target for this is 2.6.23.  Linus has been very clear that he wants
> nothing but bugfixes for 2.6.22, now.  We should have at least one month
> (probably two) to get it perfect, it should be quite enough :-)

Ohh, I hope so :-)

Thanks for your review - do you have a latest tree with the two patches
applied? You have my ACK for anything that adds input events.

Richard.