Re: Adding rfkill support to thinkpad_acpi

On Tue, 22 May 2007, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> [Sorry, cut away too much in original reply...]
> On 5/22/07, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 May 2007, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > >
> > > Notification to where? The driver? Userspace? Does delay in status
> > > reading of ~0.5 sec matter? You are concerned with the load on the EC
> >
> > To the driver, and yes it matters.
> >
> > > caused by constant polling but are you OK with apllications readig
> > > sysfs attributes constantly (rfkill attributs are exported 0644 or
> > > 0444 so anyone could  read them)? Do you want the driver to do
> >
> > No, I am not.  And I am so going to rate-limit the entire thinkpad-acpi
> > sysfs interface eventually, you can count on it.  And rfkill isn't the
> > reason it will be done, either.  Userspace braindamage is.
>
> So how are you going to implement rate limiting and still give user
> guarantee that he will see the most current hardware state?

Oportunistic polling.  If I have not just done a poll on that particular set
of registers, I will poll it immediately.  Most sysfs interfaces (hwmon,
backlight, private sysfs attributes) allow me to do it.

How often a register should be polled depends a lot.  Some easy examples:
For temperatures, it is useless to do so more than once every 5s.  For fans,
more than once every second.  For these, I will return cached results.

Some other attributes (e.g. hotkey mask) will be rate-limited in a different
way.  Ask for it too often in a short time period, and the driver will sleep
for a while instead of immediately polling and returning the data.  You
*will* get fresh data, but you may have to wait until the driver returns
with it.

  Henrique Holschuh